The Aesthetic Anti-Aging Fellowship Overview
The Fellowship Certification in Aesthetic Medicine is a certification program which can be issued to individuals with MD, DO, and MBBS degrees.
The Aesthetic Anti-Aging Medicine Fellowship was instituted in 2007 by the American Academy of Anti- Aging Medicine (A4M) and provides a unique fusion of scientific data, methodical clinical tutorials and business insight. The Fellowship was developed to help professionals from all medical specialties add new services to their practice.
Aesthetic Fellow graduates can readily establish their practices as leading facilities for Aesthetic Medicine while expanding by receiving new patient referrals from A4M's directory. Thousands of patients are constantly seeking qualified Anti-Aging and Aesthetic doctors via A4M.
Why is the Fellowship right for YOU?
The Fellowship is a post-graduate training program which combines online audiovisual lectures and hands-on tutorials in a clinical setting. It provides everything a trainee would need to gather the proper knowledge and clinical experience to incorporate aesthetic procedures into their practice.
The Fellowship denotes peer recognition in what we know is currently one of the fastest growing medical specialties. It will also provide medical practitioners with maximum exposure to the most current scientific, clinical and industry information necessary to introduce noninvasive Aesthetic procedures into their practices and stay up-to-date.
The Aesthetic Anti-Aging Medicine Fellowship is offered in both the United States and Dubai. These 2 programs vary in that Dubai's series includes 6 parts while the series in the USA consists of 7 parts.
The curriculum series consists of 3 didactic module lectures online (for fellows in both USA and Dubai), and either a 3 or 4 module intensive, hands-on clinical training module series.
The hands-on module series is offered both in the State of Florida in the USA and in Dubai, UAE. The fellow may choose where he/she would like to participate. This hands-on clinical module is available in the following aesthetic treatments:
- Botulinum Toxin A Injections
- Facial Filler Injections
- Platelet Rich Plasma Injections
- Aesthetic Laser and Light Treatments
- Aesthetic Venous Treatments (Only available at US training center)
- Body Contouring Techniques
- Chemical and Mechanical Resurfacing
Who qualifies for the Aesthetic Fellowship?
The Aesthetic Anti-Aging Medicine Fellowship program is open to MD's, DO's, or MBBS licenses.
The ideal candidates include both those that have an existing knowledge base and experience in the field of aesthetics, as well as those that are completely new to the specialty. All candidates, regardless of their prior experience, will gain what they need to be successful and perfect their skills with the help of this program.
Ability groups will be available during the hands-on clinical sessions to ensure participants are learning the procedures most suited to their current skills.
- Non-biased, evidence-based medical curriculum
- Individualized hands-on procedural learning on live models
- Education and advice from leading experts in Aesthetic Medicine
- Practice development tools
- Best practices for patient selection, pre and post treatment precautions, informed consent, treatment alternatives, complication prevention and management
What is the goal of the Aesthetic Anti-Aging Fellowship?
- Educate candidates on standards of evidence-based knowledge and procedural excellence in aesthetic treatments
- Prepare candidates for the application of aesthetic treatments on patients in a clinical setting post-graduation
- Promote more education to these levels of competency in the aesthetic field
- Heighten the standards for aesthetic treatment results globally in the field and standardize best practice protocols internationally as well as in the US
Fellowship Accreditation Top
In the United States, the clinical programs provide up to 48.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ as well as a Level 4 classification. The clinical programs are accredited by the University of South Florida Department of Professional Development. Practitioners completing the level 4 classification courses and follow-up can qualify as competent to perform the procedures without further supervision, in accordance with AMA Guidelines on Continuing Medical Education for new procedures and skills.
In Dubai, the clinical programs provide up to 17.5 CME credits per module and are accredited by Dubai HealthCare City (DHCC).
There is also an Advanced Fellow and Masters Fellow designation that can be obtained.
- Aesthetica Clinic, Dubai Healthcare City, Dubai, UAE
Aesthetica Clinic was established in Dubai, United Arab Emirates in October 2002. Approved by both the Dubai Health Authority and Dubai Healthcare City, Aesthetica Clinic is run by a team of licensed and fully qualified medical professionals. They offer some of the world’s most advanced natural, aesthetic solutions and were the first in the region to introduce treatments such as Radiesse Filler, Dermamelan Treatment, Photopneumatic Therapy, Autologous Cell Therapy, Accent XL Radiofrequency, Pixel laser, Laser 360 system, Jet Peel and many more.
All procedures are performed with utmost integrity by experienced practitioners under the guidance of founder Dr. Maria Angelo-Khattar. All of the treatments are safe and effective using only FDA and CE approved materials and equipment.
- IMA Institute & Aesthetica Clinic, Dubai Healthcare City, Dubai, UAE
IMA Institute is the educational arm of Aesthetica Clinic providing a purpose-built educational venue for the A4M Fellowship and Aesthetic training programs. IMA is a fully accredited academic institute which offers high standard training programs for all medical professionals in the latest procedures in aesthetic medicine. IMA, A4M’s official educational partner in Dubai, was established to meet the growing demand for training in the various evidence-based treatments in the rapidly developing field of aesthetics.
Managing Director and Founder of Aesthetica Clinic trained at London University, Dr. Angelo-Khattar is a research scientist with a background in academia as a professor at the Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University. Her numerous scientific publications have earned her a fellowship at the Royal Society of Medicine, UK. She is a member of the American Society for Lasers in Medicine and Surgery (ASLMS) and a member of the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine (A4M).
In 2011, Dr Angelo-Khattar became clinical director for the Aesthetic Fellowship in Dubai and now serves on the aesthetic advisory committee.
- Ageless Institute, Aventura, Florida, USA
Ageless Institute of Aventura, Florida offers Anti-Aging, Aesthetic, and Weight Loss treatments. Dr. Sharon McQuillan owns and operates the institute. She is certified in the therapeutic and cosmetic use of Botox®, the cosmetic use of facial fillers, sclerotherapy, mesotherapy, chemical peels, the aesthetic use of lasers, tumescent syringe liposculpture, endovenous laser ablation, and ambulatory phlebectomy.
Dr. McQuillan is a Board certified physician who specializes in both Aesthetic and Anti-Aging Medicine. She has studied under many of the world’s leading specialists in aesthetic medicine, including Drs. Jean and Alastair Carruthers, who pioneered Cosmetic Botox.
In 1997 Dr. McQuillan became a Diplomate of the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine and now serves on the aesthetic advisory committee.
Overview of the Certification Process Top
The Fellowship Certification in Aesthetic Medicine consists of 2 parts:
Part I: Aesthetic AntiAging Fellowship
The Aesthetic Anti‐Aging Fellowship is a 6‐part series in the US and a 7-part series in Dubai. The series consists of a 3‐module didactic lecture series, along with a 3 module hands‐on clinical training series in the US (but 4 modules in Dubai), and case study submissions in aesthetic procedures.
Part II: Written Examination
The written examination is a 3‐hour examination consisting of 150 multiple choice, true/false, and matching questions. The written examination will assess proficiencies in several areas of aesthetic medicine, with a predominant focus on practical knowledge and skills in common aesthetic and cosmetic procedures and modalities, as well as sound textbook knowledge of anatomy and physiology. Additionally, there will be 25 essay questions involving the evaluation of photographs and the development of an aesthetic treatment plan in order to determine the medical professionals in utilizing aesthetic treatments in their practices.
- Presently, the aesthetic certification exam is only administered at the American Academy of Anti‐Aging Medicine's International Congress on Anti‐Aging held in the United States.
Written Exam Details Top
- Duration of Exam: 3 hours
- Official Language of Exam: English
- Botulinum Toxin 16%
- Dermal Fillers 17%
- Lasers and Light 23%
- Chemical Peels 10%
- Venous Treatments 13%
- Body Contouring 8%
- Cosmeceutical Additives 13%
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the value of being Fellowship Certified in Aesthetic Medicine?
It provides everything a trainee would need to gather the proper knowledge and clinical experience to incorporate aesthetic procedures into their practice.
The Fellowship also denotes peer recognition in what we know is currently one of the fastest growing medical specialties. It will provide medical practitioners with maximum exposure to the most current scientific, clinical and industry information necessary to introduce noninvasive Aesthetic procedures into their practices and stay up-to-date. Aesthetic Fellow graduates can readily establish their practices as leading facilities for Aesthetic Medicine while expanding by receiving new patient referrals from A4M's directory. Thousands of patients are constantly seeking qualified Anti-Aging and Aesthetic doctors via A4M.
How should I prepare for the exam?
The best way to prepare for the exam is to review the study materials provided in the Aesthetic Written Examination study materials packet that is supplied with the examination registration, as well as participate in the review webinars that are provided prior to the exam.
Do I have to complete all the requirements before taking the exam?
Yes, all requirements must be completed before sitting for the exam.
I took the exam. When will I know the results?
Grading of the Aesthetic Fellowship Certification Exam is completed within 4 to 6 weeks of the date of the examination. The Board Coordinator will notify each candidate of their score.
Now offering advanced and elective clinical courses for experienced aesthetic practitioners (Only Available in the US):
Already practicing aesthetic medicine? The aesthetic fellowship now offers advanced courses to enable certification on more advanced techniques for the seasoned professional. Eligibility for this advanced course is evaluated based on experience and case study submission. Courses offered include:
- Advanced Cosmetic and Therapeutic Uses of Botulinum Toxin A
- Advanced Facial Filler for Facial Enhancement
- Advanced Aesthetic Laser & Light Treatments for Facial Rejuvenation
- Autologous Facial Fat Transfer
- Autologous Fat Transfer for Breast & Gluteal Augmentation
- Introduction to BodySculpture
- Advanced BodySculpture
- Dermatology for the Anti-Aging Physician
- Aesthetic Vaginal Rejuvenation
- Hair Transplantation
Starter Pack in Injectables
The Starter Pack in Injectables was created for physicians who wish to find an accelerated and economically efficient way to get started with aesthetic medicine in their clinic.
Botox procedures, as well as injectables, are by far the most popular non-surgical procedures in cosmetic medicine. This program will enable participants to master the clinical skills, scientific knowledge and business acumen required for such procedures.
The starter pack is part of the Fellowship program and can be completed independently or as part of the Fellowship.
What does the starter pack include?
- 3 months online access to Module 1 (25 hours of lectures and videos on the topic of facial rejuvenation with Botox & fillers)
2 day hands-on practice at our affiliate institute and clinic in Dubai (IMA & Aesthetica Clinic)
- Hands-on with live patients
- Maximum 4 participants per group and treatment room
- Unlimited use of products
- 17.5 CME Credits
- Certificate in Aesthetic Injectables
- Medical Doctors license from any country
- MD or MBBS Degree
- Completion of online module 1
- Completion of hands-on module 4
Course objectives: Learning outcomes
- Understand the importance of facial revolumizing and the appropriate volumes necessary to achieve a natural and youthful appearance
- Participate in interactive sessions with leading experts performing live botulinum toxin , filler & PRP Injections for aesthetic enhancement demonstrating all of the known applications
- Understand the properties and pharmacology of the various facial fillers & Botulinum Toxin agents
- Review facial muscle anatomy and function on live patients and understand how to treat these muscle groups
- Learn the "best practice" injection techniques, products, and volumes for the aesthetic correction
- Be proficient in conducting an aesthetic consultation for patients considering Botulinum Toxin
- Review the potential adverse events with the aesthetic use of both botulinum toxins and facial fillers and effective methods to avoid and treat these complications
- Learn how to develop a successful aesthetic practice with pricing strategies, marketing strategies, scheduling and staffing
Products available in the hands-on practice are:
- Hyaluronic acid ( Uma Jeunesse, Restylane and Juvederm)
- Calcium hydroxylapetite ( Radiesse)
- Polycaprolactone ( Ellanse)